Following the recent high demand for medical professionals, the need for nursing assistants has skyrocketed by 9% in the USA. In this article, I’ll show you the top nursing assistant jobs in USA.
Being a skill in high demand due to the rise in the 65+ demographic population is a reason to say that it’s a career that’s gaining momentum every day.
In this guide, we bring you details on what you should know when looking for healthcare assistant jobs in the USA.
Let’s get started…
What is a Nursing Assistant?
Nursing assistants are also known as aides, patients care or healthcare assistants. By aides, this means that they are actively involved in offering help within and outside the clinical environment to the frail, elderly and some other inpatients.
Majorly, their job description is aimed at ensuring that patients are comfortable and well taken care of during their hospital stay.
If you want to thrive in this career path, being a nursing assistant requires a lot of patience and endurance. Simply put, that’s the only virtue that complements this labor-intensive and time-consumptive work.
Are Nursing Assistant Jobs High in Demand in the USA?
Aside from the fact that medical-related professions are high in demand, jobs as patient care assistants are in high demand.
It’s no longer news that the 65+ demographic makes up 20% of the USA population. Therefore, that means that this population requires lots of attention and care, and that’s where nursing assistants come into the picture.
According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, nursing aides’ employment rate will grow by 7.6% between 2019 and 2029.
That will mean that about 116,900 nursing assistant jobs should open in the USA. Also as a career with bright prospects, Nursing Aides rank #26 in Best Health Care Support Jobs.
Therefore, from deduction, it’s not out of place to say healthcare assistant jobs in the USA are a step in the right direction.
What is the Job Description of Nursing Aides or Assistants?
Healthcare assistants have many responsibilities within and outside the hospital. Because their skill is in high demand, they have become an integral part of patient healthcare.
However, this does not mean they are involved in surgeries and major operations in the clinical environment. Most of the jobs of a nursing assistant in the USA cuts across the following;
- Gathering medical supplies.
- Bathing, grooming, feeding and documenting patient’s food and liquid intake.
- Helping to turn or move patients from one place or the other.
- Helping patients with direct healthcare needs, often under the supervision of a nurse.
- Working directly with patients to help them with many physical and complex tasks to improve patient care.
- Checking vital signs such as blood pressure and heart rate as well as answering patient calls.
- Documenting information and stocking supplies.
- Cleaning rooms and bed linens and carrying out safety procedures to ensure patient safety.
- Assisting with some medical procedures and taking care of wounds.
Depending on where the patient’s care assistant is working, there may be additional roles and responsibilities or some unique requirements.
How Do I Become a Nursing Aide in the USA?
Unlike most professions, there is no formal training to become a nursing assistant. In fact, there is no set of rules or processes on how to become a healthcare assistant.
However, there are necessary educational foundations, skills, and competencies that will qualify you for such a role in a clinical or non-clinical environment.
Here are some of the necessities to pass to become a nursing aide;
- Post-secondary certificate or award.
- A qualification training that takes at least 12 hours of in-service continuing education.
- Take and pass a competency exam. This allows you to apply and gain access to state-specific titles and placements statewide.
- Register in your state’s registry as a certified nursing assistant.
With these, you are qualified to apply for nursing aide or assistant jobs in the USA. However, you need to possess the necessary skills and competencies.
What Are the Skills and Competencies Needed to Apply for Nursing Assistant Jobs?
As earlier stated, you do not require much special training to work as a patient care assistant or a nursing aide.
If you want to thrive in this career path, being a nursing assistant requires a lot of patience and endurance.
In addition to those, these set of skills are of necessity if you want to have a smooth ride being a healthcare assistant in the USA;
- Good teamwork skills
- Excellent attention to detail
- Ability to lift and move patients
- Flexibility in work duties and schedule
- Great written and verbal communication
- Ability to carefully read and follow directions
- Good foundation of clinical skills and knowledge
Where Can a Certified Nursing Assistant Work in the USA?
All patients care assistants generally are found in all kinds of healthcare settings such as;
- Nursing homes.
- Adult daycare centers.
- Rehabilitation centers.
- Hospice Environments
- Long-term residential facilities.
- Although rare, they can work in clinical facilities.
How Much Does a Nursing Assistant Make in the USA?
According to a 2019 report, Nursing Assistants in the USA earned a median salary of $29,660 on the average. But generally the salary ranges between $25,460 and $36,000.
Top 10 Nursing Assistant Jobs in USA
Here are some of the ongoing recruitment for nursing aides in the USA;
#1. Nursing Aide / CNA at ShiftMed.
- Facility: ShiftMed.
- Location: Meadview, AZ, USA.
A certified nursing assistant at ShiftMed CES with a starting salary of $33/hr and an additional $75 bonus.
You do not need any degree but you need to have an active CNA State Licensure. Qualified candidates will be invited for a virtual meeting.
#2. Certified Nursing Aide (CNA) | Home Care | Broomfield/Westminster.
- Facility: Interim HealthCare.
- Location: Broomfield, CO, USA.
Currently, Interim HealthCare is on the lookout for a certified nursing assistant to take up jobs in Broomfield in the USA.
However, you should have a basic foundation for the evolving and ever-changing growth in the world of health care.
#3. Nurse Assistant Jobs at Medilodge of Cass City
- Facility: Medilodge of Cass City.
- Location: Cass City, MI, USA.
Nursing assistants in need of a job in a nursing center can take advantage of this job opening at MediLodge of Cass City.
Medilodge of Cass City is a 4-Star rated skilled nursing center which trains her new intakes. You do not require any experience to apply for this job.
If you have passion for caring for people, this is a good opportunity to get paid doing that.
#4. Hospice Certified Nurse’s Aide | Full Time | Day Shift – Kerrville, TX – Hospice Palliative Care RN
- Facility: Peterson Health Careers.
- Location: Kerrville, TX, USA.
Hospice certified nursing assistants are needed at Peterson Health Careers.
Here at Peterson Health Careers, all healthcare assistant jobs are specific. You can choose a full-time or part-time day shift as fits your schedule.
However, before applying for this job, you need to read and write in English. Also, you must possess the ability to follow written and verbal instructions in English effectively.
#5. CNA / Certified Nurse Aide – Evening at Wheatland Nursing Center.
- Facility: Wheatland Nursing Center.
- Location: Russell, KS, USA.
If you’re looking for jobs as a healthcare assistant in the USA then Wheatland Nursing Center is a good place to start.
The facility is named as one of the Best Workplaces in Aging Services(tm) in 2021.
Working as a Certified Nursing Assistant (CNA) comes with the responsibility of taking care of the aged physically and emotionally.
#6. State Tested Nursing Aide, STNA-Facility Staffing
- Facility: Interim Home Healthcare Company.
- Location: Columbus, OH, USA.
Here is one of the available nursing assistant jobs in the USA. The STNA-Facility is a facility that cares for all inpatients who cannot care for themselves independently.
Therefore, the job description aims at supporting a wide range of patients to ensure they are comfortable and safe.
#7. Restorative Nurse Aide (CNA) at Providence Health & Services.
- Facility: Providence Health & Services.
- Location: Los Angeles, CA, USA.
One of the aims of the Restorative Nursing aide at Providence Health & Services is to promote residents ability to recuperate and use any of the damaged body parts.
Basically, you will be working under the supervision of a registered nurse. This job comes with a hiring bonus of $5,000.
#9. Nurse Aide Medical Oncology at Catholic Health Initiatives.
- Facility: Catholic Health Initiatives.
- Location: Bismarck, ND, USA.
Nurse Aide Medical Oncology will work with the facility in CHI St. Alexius Bismarck, North Dakota Requisition.
Majorly, the job description is aimed at maintaining the standards of nursing practice in consonance with the mission, values, and philosophy of the facility.
#10. Certified Nurse Aide (CNA), Float Pool – Ohana Pacific Health (Statewide)
- Facility: Ohana Pacific Management Company.
- Location: Kaneohe, HI, USA.
This is one of the nursing assistant jobs in the USA that requires successful candidates to care for Kupuna, residents, and guests.
The most interesting part of this job is the opportunity to float through multiple facilities, as assignments are split by island.
10 Best States to Work as a Nursing Aide in USA
Here are some of the best US States where you can work as a nursing aide because of the high salary structure;
- New York
- New Hampshire
The USA is a great place to work as a healthcare assistant. The ideal is to find the perfect facility to earn money with your natural tendency of care.
However, keep in mind that although no special training is required to become a nursing assistant in the USA, you need to undergo the NNAAP training and exam to get a license to practice.
We hope you find this piece enlightening.
- 10 Best Nursing Schools in Texas
- Best Nursing Homes in Indiana in 2022
- How To Become A Pharmaceutical Rep In 2022: An Ultimate Guide
- Top 10 Nursing School Interview Questions You Should Prepare For In 2022